To begin with, I’m not going to take credit for this idea. The concept of using Ikea shelves as pedal boards has been floating around the internet for several years. I simply took the design and added a few improvements to it. Honestly, you could add self-adhesive velcro to the shelf and that quick, you’d have a pretty decent pedalboard. For those who are more adventurous, read on.
For this project I used a table saw, miter box saw, nail gun, and staple gun.
– Ikea Gorm shelf – they’re sold in 2 packs for $10.99 here. If you only need/want one, get a friend to join in the fun!
– Wood glue
– 8’ 1”x4” board
– Finish nails or screws
– Velcro – self-adhesive is best. If you’re patient, you can buy rolls for cheap on ebay, like less than $5. If you buy it at a hardware store, it’s going to be much closer to $20.
– Spray paint – optional
– Eyelets – optional, but they’re less than $2 at Home Depot, so probably worth it.
I wanted to build this pedal board so that it would be slightly angled instead of flat. To accomplish this I used my miter box to cut two 12 ¼” inch legs. These legs are 2 ½” at the top and taper down to ½”. Then across the top I used two 10” by 2 ½” boards. All of which were attached using wood glue followed by finish nails. I left a gap the middle that is approximately 4” across. This gap and the height of the board makes it so that I can securely fit my board over the front leg of a tripod mic stand.
Once the glue dried, I hit the entire board with a quick coat of flat black spray paint. I chose this particular paint because I have some left over from my DIY Monitor Stands, which you can read about here.
Next I attached the velcro. Now I recommend that you use self-adhesive velcro. Unfortunately, I ordered the wrong stuff and found myself with 20’ of 1” non-adhesive velcro. Since I’m impatient I decided to use it anyway. I sprayed the back with industrial spray adhesive, stretched it out, and clamped it in place. Once dry, I put 3 staples in each strip to hold it in place. It’s not as pretty as self-adhesive would be, but sometimes I just have to make-do with what I have.
For the final step, I secured a powerstrip on the inside of the pedalboard and added ½
eyelets to the bottom of the slats. Once everything is wired up, I’ll use zip ties through the eyelets to keep my cables organized.
So far, I’m really loving this design. With a whopping 30 ¾” x 12 ¼” platform, it gives me plenty of room for pedals without having to crowd anything. That being said, it doesn’t travel as well as my hard case design which you can see here.
Finally, I know some readers are looking at this final picture and wondering why nothing is wired up. That my friend is because the project isn’t quite complete yet. Nope, not until I complete the pedals I’m currently working on which will be next month’s DIY project.
If you try this design out, or have one of your own, please share below.
Until next time, happy DIYing!